Tuesday 29 January 2013

LIFE AFTER CANCER

Doesn't the world owe me some kind of parade or fireworks show? that in itself would be enough first down payment towards compensating for my troubles. That was my last day of breast cancer treatment. It left me feeling disoriented like someone who had just fallen off a flight of stairs. I seriously did not know which way was up or what road i was to take next. Instead of my healing gratitude leaving me happy and content, I was miserable and depressed. So I walk out of the radio room past the hallway into the oncology waiting room and out into the parking lot, all the while wondering how i was to deal with life after cancer.

I had never worked for something so hard, let alone something so anti-climactic! World, I would appreciate unicorns or some talking horses..just something!
"hey lovely.." came a tentative voice behind. I turned around to a beautiful young woman with flawless skin.quite some sight to behold. Yes dear, I am quite straight-at least to the best of my emotional knowledge. All the while am thinking ..you better be selling unicorns! "....you look like you just had a chemo.."

All i did was nod affirmatively, checking whether with her were some bottles of ionized water or mineral juice for sale. I am slowly starting to believe in miracles you know.

"Should it feel this bad...I mean, should chemotherapy hurt this bad?" She continued, looking at me like she needed some reassurance. My eyes were a reflection of her own- they read depression and desperation.

"Sweetheart, it feels like I have been beat everywhere. Yeah, I have just been run over by a truck.it's difficult to breath. But that is pretty much all there is to the feeling." In her eyes I saw a desperation that mirrored my own -- not for relief from pain, but for the comfort of reassurance. She could deal with the pain if only she knew it was the right kind of pain. So I told her. Her face immediately relaxed. As she turned to go back into the oncology waiting room, she thanked me for confirming the one thing she needed to know at that moment-that she was normal!I climbed into the car, smiled at Mitch, and waited for the joy that was certain to follow -- after so many disappointments, the day had finally arrived. I'd be able to walk unaided; I'd be able to breathe. Strangers would stop addressing me as "madam".

Instead of joy, I spent the next 47 minutes crying effortlessly on Mitch's shoulder.That was when I knew: I'd lost it. What person with even a shred of understanding would act this way? Who responds to the conclusion of an active fight against death with increasing levels of depression, anxiety and grief? Well... I did.

Looking back now, I wish someone had been there to answer that question for me in the coming days and months. Is this normal? Am I losing my mind? How can I be grateful and yet still be so miserable? I didn't know what a panic attack was, how to deal with my own angry outbursts or the inability to remember my boyfriend's name. I didn't know how hard it would be to get out of bed every day, or that I'd count the minutes until my next fake bathroom trip so my classmates and coworkers wouldn't see me cry. The resentment I felt every time someone introduced me as "a miracle." How to wade through the guilt of my own survival as friend after friend passed away. Above all, the sheer exhaustion of alienation, of no longer belonging in my own skin, of building a new self while mourning the loss of the life I had loved and wanted.

A friend came over to my room yesterday. Yes i live in some hostel. No one at her new job knows about the three surgeries and chemo that concluded two weeks ago. Her coworkers complain about the lackadaisical attitude of the IT staff; she weeps in her car during lunch break. They don't know she's bald; she doesn't know how she's going to make it through the next hour. She feels like a horrible person for thinking people don't know how easy they have it.

"My family and friends talk about what an inspiration I am. They claim some kind of responsibility for getting me through this because they said a prayer and sent a mass email. But I cry myself to sleep every night. I can't stop crying. It's over, but it isn't over."

So before she could ask, I told her. I don't know if it's supposed to hurt this bad, but sometimes it does. If anyone tells you otherwise, just go ahead and assume the universe has bribed them with unicorns, fireworks, and a brand new brain.

Breast cancer somehow prepared me for ovarian cancer. Am glad. Yes, you heard me, I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment