Tuesday 26 April 2011

EXPERIENCE


There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience. Experience has always been the best teacher since time immemorial. And that just means life, in itself, is a school. Everyone goes to school yes but not everyone gains something.

In Kenyan schools, we have the metric system of conversion. Apparently, I learnt distance conversion all the way from primary school but funny how there’s nowhere else am applying that knowledge-not even in my kitchen! Blame that on the irrelevant education system!! Ok, wait. Why am I just too quick to pass the blame on? I sat in a Chemistry class, made several chemical concoctions, came across loads of elements, carried out experiments (most of which backfired!!!!) but the fact that there’s hardly any procedure left in my head means I didn’t gain a thing. It’s clear; I did all that to pass my end of high school exams, which, thanks to God, I did!! Why did I even go to school for starters? To secure a place in a public university and be a dummy for the rest of my life?  Beats me!!
A wise person learns from his mistakes. A wiser one learns from others mistakes. But the wisest of all from others’ successes. Making a mistake is one thing and learning from it is another. I think our biggest problem is escapism. We make mistakes and instead of analyzing the actual feelings behind them, we run away from them by giving lame justifications. Sunshine once told me that the mistakes we make are actually more pardonable than the excuses we think up to cover them. This is true! She must have quoted it from somewhere though-her uncanny self! Monthe if you are reading this, you better affirm!! Ha!

I’ve made several mistakes in my time. Some, sad to say, never helped me much since I didn’t embrace them. So no change came by. But I’m glad I ain’t who I was yesterday-that’s worth a celebration, right? Learning from other’s successes defines wisdom! It saves you so much pain and regrets. It also redefines your focus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment